Sunday, 16 August 2009

Quick & Easy Pain Relief.

Hey guys, hope you're all well. I just thought that I would share with you a quick, easy and free way of getting pain relief, though I hope you won't have to use it much, because pain is no fun!
If any of you do, or have done, yoga you may already have learnt this, at least that's where I learnt it. It's just a very simple breathing exercise that I find nearly always helps to rid me of any pain, be it head, stomach or otherwise.
You can do this wherever, whenever and it whatever position you like, standing, sitting lying, walking running or wherever you find yourself at the time. All you need to do is this:

1. Take as deep a breath as you want or can. It really doesn't matter how deep or shallow it is.
2. Count to eight slowly. (IMPORTANT: If you find yourself feeling faint or dizzy before you get to eight then exhale. I wouldn't want you all fainting because of me! :) )
3. Exhale slowly.
4. Repeat 7 more times, or until pain has subsided.

When I first learnt this we sat in the lotus position and leant forward as we breathed in and then came up again as we exhaled, but I find that it is unnecessary (and often impossible) to do this, for it works both ways.

This exercise can be used for almost any pain, though I use it most for headaches, period pain or car sickness (I'm very prone to that). I have also found that it helps to relieve stress, very useful during exams!

Anyway, I just thought I'd share it with you since I think it's good to try this before going for the painkillers. :)
Oh, and sorry if this post seems a bit all over the place, because I'm a little bit all over the place at the moment.

Hope you're having a good weekend!

xoxo

1 comment:

faith120604 said...

A good tip! I taught relaxation techniques and this was always one of my favorites. Really helped with some insomnia issues I was having in college. Anyway, I digress. Good post! :)