Saturday, 25 December 2010

Catch up time

I'm currently sat on my bed slightly tangled up in my camera cable and laptop charger with Kate Morton's most recent book next to me (I recommend her books, I really enjoyed The Forgotten Garden). I've just had a bath using Lush's Cinders bath bomb (or is it a ballistic and what is the difference?) and I will be writing a review of that product after this post. I've just had a lovely Christmas Eve with my family.
Here in Iceland we open our presents on Christmas Eve and that's when we have a big dinner. Most families then spend Christmas Day and Boxing Day visiting family members and eating with them, but as Mum is from England we also celebrate Christmas the British way by opening the presents from our English friends and family on Christmas morning and then eating a turkey dinner. This year however we opened all our presents tonight as there weren't many from England. This year's Christmas was a little different for me as well since I stopped eating meat in the spring (I still eat fish though) so I didn't have the traditional "Hamborgarhryggur" which is a smoked rack of pork, but I did have some lovely monkfish along with caramel potatoes (so yummy!) Tomorrow I'm going to make a nut roast (which I made a few weeks ago to test it and I liked it).
But enough about Christmas, I just thought I'd tell you a couple of things that have been going on in my life, just in case you're interested (personally I'm just glad that I feel like writing anything again, so I'm just going with it!)

* I've really been enjoying dancing. I'm doing Lindy Hop (which is a 20's dance, think Charleston) and Swing & Rock'n'Roll (50's dance) and it's really fun. It's very social and I've met some new people.

* I'm going to take the plunge and dye my hair red! I plan to do it on the 30th so expect a blog post soon after. I'm going to be using Lush's Caca Rouge henna hair dye and I've already done a test strip and like the results. I've wanted red hair for years now but haven't been to keen to use such harsh chemicals on my hair (and Mum was panicking that I'd have an allergic reaction) but then I came across Lush's dyes and thought it would be perfect! I will be sure to take pictures and write a review when I've used it, as I haven't seen that many on the internet.

* My father just got back from a business trip to America. I didn't ask him to get me anything since he usually ends up getting the wrong things (he does try though), but he got me a few things anyway. Among them where a one shoulder leopard print dress, leopard print leggings and a (faux) leather mini skirt. Now, I'm not saying that any of these are horrible things, but they are just not my style. I am going to try and find a good top to wear with the skirt though, maybe I can make that one work, but I'm not really too fond of animal prints, at least not on me.

* I'm really excited to be going to London in February. My sister is studying there and I'm going to visit her and do a bit of shopping (I say that with hope and optimism but I probably won't buy much in the way of clothes, I'm rubbish at finding things that suit me). I do plan to raid a Lush store and both Boots and Superdrug (I must start compiling a list).

* I've been thinking about what I want to study at university. I really want to study ancient religions (like Central American and Mediterranean) but you can't do that here, so I think I might do Classics and Anthropology and then do a year in England.

* I've really been into the Buffy series lately. I started watching it from the beginning a couple of months ago and have just finished the fourth series. I used to watch them when I was younger, but could hardly remember them.

* My skin has been aweful these past few months, I don't know what happened but I'm not happy about it. I got loads of spots, which have mostly gone away but I'm left with redness that won't fade.

* I've been really wanting to buy a scented candle lately. Fleur (FleurdeForce) has been raving about Yankee Candles and I found a store that sells them, but it's not really close by and I can't justify driving to buy one. I did buy a scented candle in Ikea the other day, but I didn't really like the smell of it once I got it home. :(

* My mother's friend came for a visit a couple of months ago (she lived in Norway) and she (very kindly) gave me a bottle of Chanel's Paradoxal nail polish. I really like it and have worn in quite a lot, it's on my nails right now. It looks almost black in some lighting but can also look muddy and grey or purple. I'll just pop in a picture so you can see what it's like.



I have now run out of things to say, so I'm going to end this rambly post and write a little review of Lush's Cinders bath bomb.

No comments: