Monday, 30 May 2011

Look: Rockabilly

Last Friday I went to see a a band that plays rockabilly-style music. It's very dance-friendly music, especially for the sort of dance I love (lindy hop and swing) and a bunch of people form dance were going. 
I, of course, jumped at the chance of doing 50's style makeup & hair and even wore something 50's inspired. I own a blue full skirt that's very 50's, which I've worn to other rockabilly-themed events, but the last time I wore it I had a slight mishap (it sort of...fell off, very embarrassing!) I didn't want to wear it again (at least, not without fastening it with safety pins!) so instead I wore a pair of trousers I got in Primark when I was in London in February. They're navy, high waisted with sailory buttons and cut off just above the ankle. To be honest, I'm not sure I like them that much, some days they're fine, but other I look in the mirror and think they make my hips look too big, but they were good for that night. With the trousers I wore a black vest from H&M and a checked shirt I got from Esprit last summer.

My makeup didn't actually turn out very 50's since I've discovered that winged eyeliner doesn't really suit my eyes, I think they're too hooded. If anyone has any tips on that, please share!
My hair was my favourite part. I was inspired by this tutorial. I gathered my hair up in a ponytail and pinned my fringe up and made it a bit poofy. I then took sections of hair from the ponytail, looped them up (like you would for a pincurl) and pinned them on top of my head. It's difficult to explain, but was very simple. Then I just repeated the process for the rest of the hair in the ponytail. I finished the look off by adding a hairband which my sister gave me for my birthday, I think it's still on the Topshop website. 
Of course, being the incredibly helpful person I am, I completely forgot to take a picture of my hair from the back!

Well, that's all for now, not very exciting (or helpful) I'm afraid, but it kept me entertained. :)

2 comments:

Jean said...

Sounds like a lot of fun :) you did a fantastic job with the 50's hair, it really suits you :) xx

Bridget said...

@Jean: Thanks so much, it really was fun! xx