Thursday, 2 June 2011

Summer Goal: Learn Turkish

As I've mentioned a few times (I'll stop going on about it now) I'm only working every other weekend and my friends are all working during the week. At first I wasn't too bothered, I just relaxed, post exams, reading and watching programmes/stuff on youtube (does anyone watch Doctor Who? I can't wait for the next programme!). However, I soon realised that if I continued doing this all summer I would a) go crazy and b) realise in a couple of months that I did nothing with my summer. 
So I decided to set myself a couple of goals. One of them is to learn Turkish.
Tweetie saying 'I don't speak Turkish' - I'm so clever, aren't I?

I've always enjoyed learning languages (except Danish, I can't stand it - sorry to any Danes out there!) and being bilingual I find it easier than most to learn them.
As I'm sure I've mentioned I'm going to Turkey in August. In my school it's a tradition for the graduating year to go on a trip together (although we go the summer before we start out final year) and we vote on the place we want to go to. I'm really looking forward to it. These graduation trips are usually just an opportunity for people to get extremely drunk in a foreign country. I'm not sure what it's like in your countries, but in Iceland (and I might be portraying my country's youth very badly here, they're not all like this!) people just seem to love to get drunk. I'm not talking about enjoying a couple of drinks with friends, but drinking to the point where they don't remember much of what happened the next day. I personally don't drink, mainly because I don't like the idea of being off my face, but I might enjoy a cocktail or two while in Turkey.
Anyway, my point is that I won't spend the entire trip being drunk or nursing a hangover, instead I'll be going on various daytrips too see what the country has to offer. I'm really excited to see Pamukkale (pictured below), the ancient cities and islands.

Pamukkale (taken from Google Images)

Whenever my family would go on holiday together we'd always stay away from staying in the touristy areas, instead staying in small villages or towns where not many people spoke good English. We'd always make an effort to learn the language of the country we were visiting, just basic stuff to get around, and I really enjoyed that. So I've decided to try and learn a bit of Turkish during this summer. I'm not expecting to become fluent in the language, but want to be able to ask for things and understand a bit of what's being said around me. We'll be staying in a touristy area, so I'm guessing people there will speak English, but it's always nice to be able to take care of yourself (also, should I be kidnapped or something I'll be able to cry for help - Taken has scarred me for life!)


A peek into my notebook
Anyway, I just thought I share this with you, do you have any goals for the summer? I'd love to hear about them! :)

See you later! Or sonra görüsürüz as I'm sure I'll be saying in a few months ;)

2 comments:

faith120604 said...

I think it's great that you're learning Turkish for your trip. I've always thought it's a fun (and polite) thing to do when visiting a country where they speak another language. I hope you have a wonderful time!

Bridget said...

@faith120604: Thank you, and I agree with you :) xx