Friday, 15 July 2011

Watermelon Raspberry Lemonade

Hello again!
I thought I'd share with you a quick recipe for a very cooling summer drink.


What I did:

I used about a cup of watermelon and put it in a blender along with about a quarter cup of frozen raspberries (I would have used more but that was all we had left). You could use fresh raspberries, but as we rarely get nice fresh ones here (and if we did I'd rather just eat them on their own) frozen worked just fine. I also added about a cup of cold water because the fruit wouldn't blend properly. If you're a really patient person you could de-seed the watermelon first, but I could not be bothered. I did end up with teensy little bits in my glass though, but I didn't mind. :)

I then juiced half a lemon that I found in my fridge. I put the juice into a jug with a strainer on top to catch the pips...do lemon's have pips or stones? Google says pips, so pips it must be! Anyway, I then poured the blended watermelon and raspberries through the strainer and into the jug. I had a bit of a taste and though it was a little bit too sharp.

Now, before you jump to conclusions, I did not add white wine into the lemonade. I added sugar syrup. I made some a few weeks ago. If you like drinking lemonade during the summer I would recommend making a batch of sugar syrup to keep in your fridge. It's very simple (it's even called simple syrup sometimes). Just boil two parts sugar with one part water. So say you boil one cup of water, then you'd need to add two cups of sugar. Simmer until the sugar has dissolved and it's a syrupy consistency (the syrup should drip off your spoon in a stream). Allow to cool completely and then store it in some sort of container. I just used a clean and sterilised wine bottle. It'll keep in the fridge for a long time.
I added about a quarter cup of syrup into the jug, stirred and tasted again and then decided it was now too sweet. So I had a look in my fridge and saw that there was also about a third of a lemon there so I just squeezed that in. I then added two more cups of water (although I think a cup and a half would have been enough), some ice and voilĂ ! a perfect summery drink.



I enjoyed it with some salt and vinegar crisps while sunbathing on the balcony and listening to the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy audiobook read by Stephen Fry. Incidentally I would listen to anything read by Mr. Fry, I love his voice, in fact the other day I listened to a podcast talk by him talking about the history of computers and Apple and such, not the most fascinating thing I've listened to, but I did enjoy it. :)

Let me know if you decide to make this, you could leave out either the raspberries or the watermelon if you don't have them, or both and just make normal lemonade, but it wouldn't be such a pretty pink colour! ;)

Also, let me know if you don't like how I arranged the photos, I can't decide whether or not I like it, but I thought it would make the post too long if I just put them below each paragraph. 

1 comment:

faith120604 said...

Sounds delicious! I'll have to give it a try this weekend. :) I love the picture layout--the variety is refreshing!

Hope you're having a wonderful summer!