Friday, 9 December 2011

My lipbalms

Since I started taking medication for my acne my lips have got considerably drier (as I expected). They were dry to begin with so I always had a couple of lipbalms lying about. Since starting the medication though, my lipbalm collection has grown considerably. I've found that I like to have a couple of lipbalms whereever I am so that I never find myself somewhere with really dry uncomfortable lips and no way to soothe them (It has happened and it was not fun). So I now have three lipbalms in my bedroom, one in my coat pocked, two in my pencil case and one that moves from my pencil case to my coat pocket (not of its own accord though, that would be worrying). 

So I thought I'd go over my lipbalms and tell you what I think about them.

L-R, top to bottom: Burt's Bees beeswax lip balm, Burt's Bees replenishing lip balm with pomegranate oil, Carmex cherry moisturizing lip balm, Blistex raspberry lemonade blast, Blistex lip medex, Carmex cherry moisturizing lipbalm, Blistex medicated lip ointment and Vaseline [not pictured].
 Carmex cherry moisturizing lip balm
This is, by far, my most favourite lipbalm ever. I first got it two years ago when I was in England and stupidly only bought one pot (well, stupidly in afterthought as I didn't know I would love it when I bought it). I then (this time very stupidly) proceeded to put in the the washing machine when I was washing some clothes and it all vanished. :( When I went back to England last February I picked up two pots and am almost done with the second one (I actually lost it for about a month and had to beg my mother to buy my a new one when she went to Norway a couple of weeks ago. She bought two, darling woman that she is. Incidentally I found it about five minutes before writing this). There are three things that I love about this lipbalm. 
1) The scent. To me it smells exactly like a Chupa chups cherry lollipop. Now, if you don't like cherry sweets or things that smell like cherry sweets, you probably won't like this. The smell is also very strong, if you're applying this the person next to you will most definitely smell it as well. 
2) It's not medicated. Some of the lipbalms I own have active ingredients so you can only apply them a couple of times per day, but this one doesn't so you can reapply freely. :) Actually this is a bit of a lie, it contains oxybenzone, which is an active ingredient used in sunscreen so that doesn't really count.
3) It works. For me at least. Before I started my acne medication my lips had never been as soft as they were when I used this. And I've always had really dry, chapped lips, so having soft lips for once was wonderful.
It also has SPF15 which is always nice. :)
You might have noticed that I said earlier that I'd bought this lipbalm when I went to England. That is because I thought you couldn't get it here, I'd never seen it anywhere. Then, while I was wandering around a shop called Mega Store, which sells cheap, American stuff, I suddenly say it by the till. I was so happy! It was also in stick form rather than in a pot, which is nice, especially when you're out and about, pots can get a bit gross. This lipbalm, however, smelled a bit plasticy at first, but that smell has gone away now. So now I keep the pot beside my bed and the stick in my pencil case.

Blistex lip medex

This is one of the lipbalms that does contain active ingredients (external analgesics, i.e. external painkillers) so you're only supposed to apply it 3-4 times per day at the most. I've found that this doesn't really sink into my lips very well and if I use it alone it doesn't soften my lips. So I use it before I go to bed mostly. It doesn't have a very pleasant smell, I don't mind it, but some people might not like it. It kind of smells like tiger balm if you know what that is, but milder.
This lipbalm is in a pot, which can be a bit annoying, but I can live with it. Another thing which I don't like is that it's rather glossy. I can't stand lipgloss and don't like lipbalms that look glossy, but since I only apply it before going to bed it doesn't matter too much.
In case you're interested, the active ingredients are camphor, menthol and phenol, which all give your lips a tingling sensation when you apply it, as well as being an analgesic. The Blistex website also lists Petrolatum (petroleum jelly) as an active ingredient which I find rather odd, but never mind.
All in all I like this lipbalm but it's not my favourite, it does soothe your lips when they are sore though.

Blistex medicated lip ointment

This one is pretty similar to the Lip Medex but it doesn't contain as much petroleum jelly so it's less glossy. It actually contains less of the active ingredients mentioned above which I think is rather strange since I find it a lot stronger. Maybe the name of it just tricks my mind into thinking that it is. ;) As with the Lip Medex you can only apply this 3-4 times a day. I tend to use it only when I'm about to go outside and it's very cold/windy. Maybe I should start using it more often though since the website says that it's "clinically proven to heal dry, chapped lips", whereas the Lip Medex only provides relief or something like that. Hmm. This one has a stronger smell than the Lip Medex, more mentholy, but I like it.

Blistex raspberry lemonade blast 

I bought this lipbalm in desperation after having lost my Carmex one. I regret it. I really don't like the smell, it's way to strong and sweet-like in a not-so-nice way. I actually realised that it smells like a Twister ice lolly, which made me like it a tiny bit better but I still don't want this smell on my lips (I know how ironic this is considering what I said about the Carmex). The website says that the two scents deliver an "explosion of flavour". Oh how right they are. One thing I do like, though, is that it's very waxy and doesn't give you a glossy finish. It also tastes really nice, which I consider a bad thing because you're not meant to be eating it! Then you just end up having to reapply it. You can reapply it as often as you like though.
I won't be buying this one again, I probably won't even finish the one I have.

Burt's Bees beeswax lip balm and replenishing lip balm with pomegranate oil

Burt's Bees products have just arrived here in Iceland and I got the pomegranate one on a whim whilst buying my acne medication last month. They were right by the till, but they only had one tester which was the açaí berry one, which I didn't love so I just grabbed the pomegranate one since I like pomegranates (and Peresphone). The pomegranate oil one has a pink cap and the lip balm itself is dark pink (no pictures because it's a bit melted and gross looking). It has a glossy finish, which I don't really like (but you knew that already) and I'm not too keen on the smell either. It's a bit, I don't know how to explain it, heavy for me. Not in a musky way, but more in a floraly way I suppose. I can't explain it.
A couple of weeks later I picked up the beeswax one thinking that it probably wouldn't smell of anything much, being beeswax. I was mistaken. It smells of peppermint! It's absolutely lovely (if you like peppermint that is) and it even was a waxy finish. Points all around. Having said that though, I think they could have mentioned peppermint somewhere in the name, it's only listed in the ingredients, which I didn't have a chance to read. Oh well, no harm done. :) I rather fancy trying the honey one as well, but now I have no idea what to expect scent-wise (I've just Googled it and I think it just smells of honey, at least that's what I judge from the ingredients list). I keep the beeswax lipbalm in my coat pocket as it's perfect for when you're on the go and the peppermint scent is very appropriate for winter. :)

While looking at the Blistex website I saw that they have a new lipbalm, a cold and allergy lip soother which looks like it might be rather nice. I swear, by the time I finish taking the acne medication I'll have more lipbalms than I have fingers and toes!

That's all I have to say for now, I meant to make this post super short, but I failed rather miserably. 

2 comments:

Summer said...

This is a really great post, I always love hearing about new lipbalms to try - I have terribly dry lips! Bookmarking it, thanks. <3 :)

Bridget said...

@Summer Thank you for your lovely comment! :)