Monday, 23 January 2012

Pretty lights

When I was going out to the car last night to go to dance I noticed that there were northern lights. These are pretty common where I live (as in I generally see them once or twice a year) but I always stop and look at them for a bit. When I got home from dance they were a lot brighter and pretty much all over the sky so I decided that this would be a perfect time to try taking a picture of them. I've never tried before but I did some quick Googling and figured out what settings I should probably be using. Sadly though, my camera doesn't have manual focus (I use a Panasonic DMC-TZ9, it's just a digital camera with a really good zoom) so my pictures weren't as in focus as I would have liked them to be. I'll remember this for next time though and then maybe use the stargazer setting since that seems to focus okay.
Anyway I thought I'd share some of the pictures I got with you. I have altered them a teeny tiny bit in the iPhoto editer thingy, but not much, only reducing the noise and boosting the contrast a bit. Enjoy :)




You can sort of see the belt of Orion in the top right hand corner of the last photo, but it's not in focus! :(


Today I decided to take my new Diana for a spin. It's a toy film camera, a remodel of a 60s camera and I've taken five pictures so far! Anyway, I decided to walk through a cemetery on my way home from school. Does that sound depressing? It's a really nice cemetery though, it's really old and even though it's right next to busy roads it's always really quiet. Anyway, I thought it would be nice to walk through it and take some pictures, especially since everywhere is (still!) covered with snow.





I'd better stop procrastinating now and finish reading the book I have a test in tomorrow! 

5 comments:

Hailey B said...

your sooo lucky i would love to see the northern lights one thing i want to do in life. it was here in scotland last night but i didnt know about it x

Bridget said...

@Hailey B: Maybe there'll be some more tonight? You should definitely keep an eye out if the sky is clear :)

faith120604 said...

That's gorgeous! We don't have anything like that here, and I've always wanted to see it since I first learned the word aurora. :) Loving photos of the cemetery!

Zobo said...

Wow how amazing! Your so lucky to have seen the
Northern lights x

Sindy said...

beautiful pictures! and great blog :D

http://sindy-ng.blogspot.co.uk/