Wednesday, 8 August 2012

EOS lipbalms

I have an obsession with lipbalms. There, I said it. This may not come as a surprise to anyone who has spent any amount of time with me, or anyone who has read my blog. My love for lipbalms was magnified when I took acne medication earlier this year. Imagine my surprise and pleasure when I spotted EOS lipbalms in a supermarket a few weeks ago. This was a lipbalm I'd seen many people on YouTube rave about (Ingrid/Missglamorazzi especially), but I'd always thought it would be a product I'd never had a chance to try unless I actually went to the US. But as soon as I spotted it I had a sniff of the different scents (flavours?) and picked one up and then picked another one up the next day.

Now, I have a bit of an issue with lipbalm scents. I love (love) the Carmex cherry lipbalm. I love the scent and I love how it performs, but the scent is just a bit too strong. Nearly every single time I apply it (if I'm with other people) some one will comment on it. Not in a bad way or anything, just in a 'Ooh, what's that?' or a 'Are you eating a sweet?' way, which isn't a huge deal or anything but it's just a tiny bit awkward to have to answer a bunch of questions when you just want to put on some lipbalm and move on with your life. I'm probably making a big deal out of this, it's not a problem or anything, I just wish the scent of my lipbalms wasn't so strong. Ideally I'd like to be able to smell it while I'm applying it but the person next to me couldn't.
Having said that though, the packaging of this particular product means then whenever your whip it out of your handbag people are bound to ask about it, not to mention the fact that you look a bit silly applying it. I've combated this (obvious) problem by applying it when I'm alone or in the bathroom or something. Or, you could you know just not worry about it. I'm sounding seriously paranoid right now. I promise I'm not.

Anyway, this was all going through my mind while I was deciding which lipbalm to pick, so I went for Honeysuckle honeydew. Then the next day I got Summer fruit.


Summer fruit (left) and Honeysuckle honeydew (right).

EOS, which stands for Evolution of Smooth, lipbalms claim to be 95% organic and 100% natural. The packaging is rather unique for a lipbalm, it's oval shaped with a lid that screws off (and clicks securely back into place) to reveal the dome-shaped lipbalm. The directions on the packaging say: "Twist off top. Pucker up. Smooth on. Smile." I love that there isn't anything written on the actual product apart from 'EOS' on the top and bottom, it's very clean looking. But when you buy it there's plastic around the lipbalm that you peel off and that has all the ingredient info and whatnot. Speaking of, let's take a look at the ingredients!


Open and used (sorry!)
Summer Fruit
The ingredients listed (in order of quantity) are:

 Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil* - Forms a barrier on the skin's surface to slow the loss of water
Beeswax (Cire D'abeille)* - Increases thickness of oil ingredients to allow them to hold their shape and provide a smooth application.
Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil* -  Forms a barrier on the skin's surface to slow the loss of water and improves appearance of dry skin
Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil* -  Forms a barrier on the skin's surface to slow the loss of water
Natural Flavor - enhances the flavour of a product or masks the flavour of other ingredients
Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)* -  Forms a barrier on the skin's surface to slow the loss of water and increases thickness of oil ingredients
Stevia Rebaudiana Leaf/Stem Extract* - reduces or masks the odours of other ingredients
Tocopherol (Vitamin E)- Antioxidant (prevents or slows deterioration due to reaction with oxygen) and improves appearance of dry skin
Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil* - Forms a barrier on the skin's surface to slow the loss of water and improves appearance of dry skin
Vaccinium Angustifolium (Blueberry) Fruit Extract* - Helps sooth and protect the skin
Fragaria Vesca (Strawberry) Fruit Extract* - Helps protect the skin and is also an astringent (causes the skin to constrict, protecting it)
Prunus Persica (Peach) Fruit Extract* -  Forms a barrier on the skin's surface to slow the loss of water and improves appearance of dry skin
Linalool - Adds fragrance 

* Organic. Certified Organic by Oregon Tilth.


Honeysuckle Honeydew


(Ingredients listed in order of quantity)



Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil* - Forms a barrier on the skin's surface to slow the loss of water
Beeswax (Cire D'abeille)* - Increases thickness of oil ingredients to allow them to hold their shape and provide a smooth application.
Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil* -  Forms a barrier on the skin's surface to slow the loss of water and improves appearance of dry skin
Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil* -  Forms a barrier on the skin's surface to slow the loss of water
Natural Flavor - enhances the flavour of a product or masks the flavour of other ingredients
Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)* -  Forms a barrier on the skin's surface to slow the loss of water and increases thickness of oil ingredients
Stevia Rebaudiana Leaf/Stem Extract* - reduces or masks the odours of other ingredients
Tocopherol (Vitamin E)- Antioxidant (prevents or slows deterioration due to reaction with oxygen) and improves appearance of dry skin
Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil* - Forms a barrier on the skin's surface to slow the loss of water and improves appearance of dry skin
Cucumis Melo (Honeydew Melon) Seed Extract* - Improves appearance of dry skin
Lonicera Japonica (Honeysuckle) Flower Extract* - Improves appearance of dry skin
Limonene -  Adds fragrance 
Linalool - Adds fragrance 

* Organic. Certified Organic by Oregon Tilth.



Sources:

Cosmetic Info
EWG's Skin Deep
SpecialChem

The ingredients look pretty good, not much synthetic stuff. I'm assuming that the linalool and limonene are not synthetic since they claim to be 100% natural, but it might be. I'm not sure what the rules are regarding brands calling their products 'natural'.

I really like these lipbalms. I like the design, the flavours and the ingredients. I don't find them as hydrating as my Carmex cherry lipbalm, but I prefer the application as you don't need to dip your finger into the product. Having said that, I keep the honeysuckle honeydew lipbalm in my handbag at all times and the summer fruits one sits next to my bed while my Carmex lipbalms just sits on my dressing table, not being used. So maybe that says all you need to know. :)

1 comment:

Rosella Beauty said...

I've nominated you for an award on my blog - Check it out here! http://rosella-beauty.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/liebster-blog-awards.html :) <3