Wednesday, 22 August 2012

Mmm... Rice Krispies treats


I was going to a friend's house yesterday to watch a film and decided that I wanted to make a little something to take with me. Rice Krispies treats are my default in these situations. Personally I'm not a huge fan of chocolate Rice Krispies treats, I prefer caramel ones, so I thought I'd share my recipe with you.

I'm only showing a picture of the end result as the mixture looks a bit unappealing when you're making it - but it tastes delicious!

Ingredients
125 g butter
125 g marshmallows
125 g caramel cubes OR 180 g Mars bars (4x45 g bars)
Rice Krispies

I normally make this with caramel cubes, but I didn't have any. Instead I used Mars bars left over from a camping trip I went on the weekend before last. 

Melt the butter, marshmallows and caramel/Mars bars together in a large saucepan over a low heat. Stir continuously so it doesn't burn. It takes a while for all the ingredients to combine (5-10 mins), but when they do the mixture will be light brown and glossy.
Add enough Rice Krispies so that it's evenly coated, just add a little at first and then more as needed.
Now, you can either do what I did and put the mixture into a deep square metal dish (greased with a bit of butter) and press down firmly until the surface is pretty level, or you can put it into paper muffin cups. I've done both and prefer to use a dish as I think it tastes better that way. Now you just have to wait for the treats to cool, you can put them into the fridge if you're in a hurry.
If you've used a metal dish then, once it's cooled, you need to cut the treats into small squares and arrange on a plate.

These are always really popular and I don't think I've even brought home leftovers. Using this recipe I made about 30 treats and one person will probably eat about 2-3 (or six like one of my friends! :) ) so you can adjust the recipe accordingly.

Let me know if you make these and tell me what you think! :)

No comments: